Name Change - Adult and Minor
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CHANGE OF NAME
You must be a resident of Walker County, Alabama. If you are a resident of another county/state
you must seek the name change in the county/state of residence. Cost is $73.00.
We accept cash, check, or Credit Cards in the Judicial Department.
- THE FOLLOWING IDENTIFICATION IS REQUIRED UPON FILING A PETITION FOR AN ADULT NAME CHANGE:
CURRENT ALABAMA DRIVERS LICENSE OR PHOTO ID
SOCIAL SECURITY CARD
BIRTH CERTIFICATE (issued in the last 30 days)
SUPPORTING MARRIAGE AND/OR DIVORCE DOCUMENTS
TWO (2) PROOFS OF WALKER COUNTY RESIDENCY IF THE DRIVER’S LICENSE HAS AN OUT-OF-COUNTY OR STATE ADDRESS
(current utility bill, voter registration, deed, mortgage, tax card, etc.
INSTRUCTIONS IF COMPLETING OFFLINE:
Complete forms in BLACK INK ONLY. Do not mark through or use liquid paper on the forms.
Please write your name LEGIBLY in all appropriate areas on these two forms.
Please notify the clerk if you have had your name changed previously.
This form does not require an attorney to file. However, clerks are NOT allowed to assist you in completing the form.
The Petition must be notarized prior to submission to the probate office. We do not provide notary service.
PETITIONER refers to your FULL PRESENT LEGAL NAME (or the name you’re changing FROM). Please sign your FULL PRESENT LEGAL NAME (or the name you’re changing FROM) as PETITIONER and have that same signature notarized. DO NOT sign in the notary section in any other name than your PRESENT LEGAL NAME (or the name you are changing FROM). Use FULL NAMES. NO INITIALS. Be sure to give your COMPLETE PHYSICAL ADDRESS. NO POST OFFICE BOX addresses will be accepted. Bring the completed, signed AND notarized forms to the probate office with the required documentation and fees.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CHANGE OF NAME
**Please advise clerk if child’s name has been changed before **
Child and one or both parents must reside in Walker County, Alabama
YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING TO FILE THE PETITION:
Valid (non-expired)Alabama-issued photo identification (driver or non-driver ID) of parent(s) — NO EXCEPTIONS (Your Walker County address must be current on your Alabama ID)
Parent’s and child’s social security cards Certified copy of child’s birth certificate with state ID number issued within the last 30 days
Filing fee of $73.00 (additional fees will apply if a hearing is required)
FORM PACKAGE FOR A MINOR NAME CHANGE CLICK HERE
COMPLETING THESE FORMS OFFLINE:
Clerks in this office are not allowed to assist you in completing this form.
1. You must answer questions 1 through 5 in the petition. Use BLACK INK ONLY. Do not mark through or use liquid paper or any correction tape on the forms. The petitioner’s signature must be the same as identified on the identification and the petitioner must sign in front of a notary. (Use full names—no initials.)
2. You must file a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate that has been issued within the last 30 days containing the State ID number. This document must remain with the Court as a permanent part of the file.
3. If both parents’ names appear on the child’s birth certificate, both parents must sign the petition to have the child’s name changed. A physical address is required for both parents. No P. O. Boxes will be accepted.
o If one parent is not available to sign the petition, or if the father’s name is not listed on the birth certificate, question #2 must be completed in full and the matter will be set for a hearing. The Court will give notice to the parent who has not signed the petition, whether in-state or out-of-state. The child must be at the hearing.
o If the child is over age 14, he/she must submit a consent statement to the change of name (attached). The signature of the child must be the same as it appears on the birth certificate. The child must sign in front of a notary. (This may be an informal, hand written statement that is signed before a notary.)
o In the event the father is unknown, an Affidavit of Unknown Father must be provided.
A HEARING DATE IS REQUIRED TO BE SET BY THIS COURT FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
• If putative Father’s name does not appear on the child’s birth certificate or if the father is now deceased.
• If the named putative Father is not available to sign the petition.
• If “mother refused” or “not stated” is shown on the child’s birth certificate under “Father’s Name.”
If news paper publication is required, you will have to pay the publication costs directly to the newspaper that is used for the publication. Additional court costs may occur for the hearing. ABSOLUTELY NO FEES CAN BE WAIVED.
Bring the completed signed and notarized forms to the office along with the required filing fees.
PLEASE HAVE YOUR PAPERS NOTARIZED BEFORE FILING IN PROBATE COURT
All correspondence sent in care of:
A. Lee Tucker
Judge of Probate
Walker County, Alabama
POB 502 1900 3rd Ave.
Jasper, Al 35502 Jasper, AL 35501